With most adults spending more of their waking hours at work than anywhere else, addressing issues of mental health at work is vitally important for all people in Canada—especially employers.
Each week in Canada, 500,000 employees are absent from work due to a mental health problem or illness, which is more than a $51-billion annual cost to the economy. It’s time to ask, what is that cost to your business? From turnover to absenteeism to growing legal implications, not only is ensuring a mentally healthy workplace the right thing to do, it makes good business sense.
A mentally healthy workplace can:
- Foster a positive culture
- Promote employee’s mental well-being
- Prevent harm to employee mental health
- Support people with mental health problems and illnesses
- Reduce stigma and discrimination
The Canadian Chamber of Commerce is committed to assisting businesses in being a Healthy Workplace. Visit the website for tools and resources for adopting a Healthy Workplace.